Saturday, November 5, 2016

Allah Hafiz and Bharat Mata ki Jai

So I read this sort of a proverb/saying on one of the walls, Facebook, not real. It said " I was Gujarati, Marathi, Bengali, Rajasthani as far as I was in India, I became Indian only after I left India". What a poignant thought, I said to myself. I started indulging in past events when I exhibited any such behaviour of being state-specific when asked "Kahan se ho aap?" (Where are you from). And yes, while I was in India, I always said Gujarat. Never once did it occur to me to say "Main wahin se hu jahan se app hain" (I am from where you are).

So I sulked for my naivety of the past and wondered how I could make amends. However, whats important for this post is that now I am in a foreign land and how proud I feel each day to say that I am from India. Whats even more important for this post is the interactions I have had from people of Pakistan and how much love and respect I have developed for them in few short months of my stay in Paris.

Few weeks back there was a terrorist attack on Uri Military camp where 18 of our brave soldiers laid their lives. The social media was filled with hatred for Pakistan and it seemed that each Indian, if given a chance, would wield a sword and kill atleast one Pakistani. There were messages with appeal to the Prime Minister to destroy Pakistan, throw our nukes at them, have a war and obliterate the very existence of this lovely country which was my country's integral part not very long ago.

I often meet Pakistani people in the train, bus, shops and my university. With each meeting my love and respect for them only grows stronger. Yes sometimes I agree that Pakistan is a rogue state, but Pakistanis are not rogue at all- they are far from it. They are the most polite, loving and cheerful people I have met in Paris. And I am terribly sorry to say but I have not felt the warmth from fellow Indians. Their faces light up when I speak in Hindi and some broken Punjabi. And when I am leaving and bid "Allah Hafiz" to them, although I cant see it with my back turned, I know they are smiling and sending only good thoughts. I have no hesitation in saying "Allah Hafiz" just as I have no hesitation in saying "Bharat Mata ki Jai". And no matter what happens, I will always say it. Taking the name of God purifies us, no matter if its Ram or Allah.

I wanted to share how delighted I am to have had the opportunity to meet people from Pakistan and how much I will cherish this relationship in years to come.

No comments: