Elections have always fascinated me. On the eve of Election Day 2016 in the US, I am more than excited. I have not much reason to be, but I just am. I remember the day in May 2014 when I called work to say 'I was sick' to stay at home and watch election results of the Indian Lok Sabha polls. I celebrated it like a festival and Mr. P had no idea what was going on with me. I was happy that Narendra Modi won, but I was happier that democracy won. The voter turn-out was a whopping 66.38% . Two thirds of the 1.2 billion Indian people actually got out and voted.
The very concept of election fascinated me right from childhood. We were introduced to it by an erudite and pragmatic teacher of History during our class representative, or as we called them Prefects, elections in the 3rd or 4th grade. Very hesitant, I stood for the elections in 3rd grade and every time a vote was read in my favour, I was elated, overjoyed to the extent of being sick wth excitement. This went on throughout my school life and I was always part of the 'class cabinet'. However, more that this what's important is how much I enjoyed the process of voting. The serious ones like me would put thought into who we were voting for and what or what not he/she could bring to the table.
I am out of touch of what schools teach about democracy today. But I truly wish that children are taught the power of vote and franchise. Its the most powerful weapon we all wield and the funny thing is- we dont realise it. Every single person we put up on the Lok Sabha, the Senate, the House of Commons, makes a difference- even if they do nothing during their tenure. Yes, even if they do nothing. Because most of the times, doing nothing, counts.
Coming back to the US Presidential Elections, yes, the Americans are choosing lesser of the two evils today. God give them strength and God give them prudence. It's their responsibility not only for themselves but for billions worldwide because of the power that the US wields.
Here's hoping that the unworthy are TRUMPed by a HILLARious turn of events.
The very concept of election fascinated me right from childhood. We were introduced to it by an erudite and pragmatic teacher of History during our class representative, or as we called them Prefects, elections in the 3rd or 4th grade. Very hesitant, I stood for the elections in 3rd grade and every time a vote was read in my favour, I was elated, overjoyed to the extent of being sick wth excitement. This went on throughout my school life and I was always part of the 'class cabinet'. However, more that this what's important is how much I enjoyed the process of voting. The serious ones like me would put thought into who we were voting for and what or what not he/she could bring to the table.
I am out of touch of what schools teach about democracy today. But I truly wish that children are taught the power of vote and franchise. Its the most powerful weapon we all wield and the funny thing is- we dont realise it. Every single person we put up on the Lok Sabha, the Senate, the House of Commons, makes a difference- even if they do nothing during their tenure. Yes, even if they do nothing. Because most of the times, doing nothing, counts.
Coming back to the US Presidential Elections, yes, the Americans are choosing lesser of the two evils today. God give them strength and God give them prudence. It's their responsibility not only for themselves but for billions worldwide because of the power that the US wields.
Here's hoping that the unworthy are TRUMPed by a HILLARious turn of events.

No comments:
Post a Comment